Sunday 20 December 2015

Mini Canvas - Merry Christmas!

Hi! Welcome to my blog and happy holidays!

Today I have a truly festive mini canvas to share with you! This is my first mini canvas, I really enjoyed making it and it didn't included any intricate painting at all! So if you want to make your own canvas without painting, this is one quite simple way!

I started by adhering 'soft' paper, like tissue paper and old book paper pieces at all the edges of the canvas, from the front to the back side. This helped to cover all the white space of the border of the canvas and make it look complete at the end. To do that I used gel mat medium between the paper and the canvas but also on the top of the paper to have a perfect coverage. 

For the background I used some paper pieces and I made a collage with them covering all the canvas surface. Again I used gel mat medium under and over the paper pieces and left it to dry completely. I also used some chevron and music notes washi tapes and some stamping to add interest to my background. Then I painted over the collage with watery white paint to tone down the background colors.

(click on the photos to zoom)

After it was totally dry, I used a stencil with some painted modelling paste and added the bubbles at some areas of the canvas. I wanted the bubbles to look gold so I mixed the modelling paste with some gold distress paint. But as my modelling paste is white, the gold paint color wasn't so bright metallic gold as it finally looks but it rather had a mustard shade. To make it look gold, I left the paste to totally dry and then I used the same gold distress paint with a brush to color the dried paste surface. It finally turned out GOLD! 


For my Christmas tree, I die cut scalloped circles of different sizes from a collection of papers with festive colors. I distress painted the papers edges, crinkled them to add dimension to them and put them together to the three different sized flowers. I added I gold gem to their center, made some shadow on the canvas with brown distress ink and glued the flowers on my canvas in a tree shape. To make the tree trunk I used some thick twine which I painted on top with some brown ink. 


To embody the tree and its colors with the background, I used watery distress paints and added a little bit of red and green colors to some areas of the background. Finally, I cut some stars of different sizes from a scrap paper with beautiful lettering. I distressed their edges with distress ink or glitter and I adhered them on the canvas using some golden string to make them look like hanging for the top and some foam tape.


For my quote, I used die cut letters from a black paper with small white patterns. 

Well that was my first mini canvas, I really enjoyed making it and I hope you like it! I think that mini canvases are a great idea for embellishing the house (this one for the holiday season!) and can be a beautiful gift for family and friends too!

With this mini canvas I participate to December's Challenge of the Pinterest Inspired Challenge blog
This challenge blog shares awesome inspiration ideas from the Pinterest and you can find it here! Check out this month's inspiration photo! Isn't it GORGEOUS?!!!


I also participate to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Just a Pinch" as my mini canvas has just a pinch of gold shimmer and glitter which I really love for the season holidays, and to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge "Die Crazy" as my first mini canvas is full of die cuts!!!               


SUPPLIES: 


3 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful canvas with so many pretty layers of texture. Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Melfina said...

Thank you dear Suzanne for your sweet comment! Wish you Happy Holidays!

Caryn said...

What a unique Christmas card - love it!.
Thanks for playing along at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx